To protect the environment, reduce litter and to encourage the recycling and composting of food service waste, the following rules have been approved by the Santa Cruz County Board of Supervisors.
As of January 1, 2017: All to -go food service ware provided to customers in the unincorporated areas of Santa Cruz County must be recyclable or compostable, as certified by the Biodegradable Products Institute. This includes:
- No plastic straws (paper is acceptable)
- No plastic stir sticks (wood is fine)
- All cups (hot or cold) must be certified compostable
- All to -go cutlery must be certified compostable
- No Styrofoam
- No #6 polystyrene products (including hot cup lids)
- All to -go containers must be recyclable or certified compostable
These rules apply to restaurants, grocery stores, farmers markets, food trucks, special events and any other business or event where food is sold to go.
Talk to your food service supplier about available products. Many suitable products are available from major distributors. To be sure a product meets the requirements, check the web site of the Biodegradable Products Institute, www.bpiworld.org.
For more information, contact County Recycling and Solid Waste Services at (831) 454-2160 or go to the County web site at www.santacruzcountyrecycles.org.